The Center for Earth and Planetary Studies (CEPS) at the Smithsonian Institution’s National Air and Space Museum houses a NASA-supported Regional Planetary Image Facility. The purpose of the image facility is to act as a reference library providing planetary science researchers with access to the extensive collection of image data obtained from planetary missions.
Regional Planetary Image Facility Services
- Planetary image support data (type of sensor or film, location, scale, sun angle…etc)
- Zoom transferscope, stereoscopes and other interpretive equipment.
- Online searches for planetary and terrestrial image data.
- CD-ROM search and retrieval systems for planetary images and space shuttle photographs.
- Browse file for press release and popular planetary images.
- Scanner for creating digital copies of images.
Please Note: The facility does not sell imagery and cannot provide reproduction services. A guide to Resources for Earth and Planetary Research is available to also help individuals find available imagery online.
If you intend to visit the facility, please contact us in advance for an appointment.
Regional Planetary Image Facility
Smithsonian Institution P.O. Box 37012
National Air and Space Museum
Rm 3773 (MRC 315)
Washington, D.C 20013-7012
Facility Director: Dr. Tom Watters
Data Manager: Rose Aiello
Data Assistant: Jennifer O’Brien
Telephone: (202) 633-2480
Fax: (202) 786-2566
Hours: Monday through Friday 10 am – 4 pm
There are many other Regional Planetary Image Facilities located throughout the U.S. and abroad.