Curtiss E-4, In-Line 4 Engine
This is the second of the two Curtiss engines that powered the first United States military dirigible balloon. In 1908, the U.S. Signal corps awarded Thomas Scott Baldwin a contract for the construction of an airship not to exceed 120 feet, to be completely maneuverable and to attain a speed of 20 miles per hour.
Although the airship exceeded the desired speed by 3 miles per hour, with Glenn Curtiss as engineer and Thomas Baldwin as pilot, even better performance was desired. Therefore, a more powerful and lighter engine was installed.
Gift of Charles R. Witteman.
Weight: 114 kg (250 lb)
- Country of Origin
- United States of America
- Curtiss Aeroplane and Motor Company
- Glenn H. Curtiss
- PROPULSION-Reciprocating & Rotary
- metal, wood
- Roughly 91.4 cm (3 ft) x 91.4 cm (3 ft) x 61.0 cm (2 ft), Mounted on 182.9 cm (72 in.) stand