Maximotors were built by Max Dingfelder in Detroit, Michigan, around 1911 to 1913. Models included four- and six-cylinder in-line and V-8 water-cooled engines. This Model B-4 Maximotor was the last of several that powered Red Devil III aircraft designed and built by Thomas Scott Baldwin, who had previously made a reputation with lighter-than-air craft. Red Devils were also powered by a number of other engine types, including Hall-Scott and Curtiss. Maximotors were also used on aircraft such as those built by Wright, Curtiss, Bleriot, and Farman and Antoinette.
This engine artifact was removed from the Red Devil aircraft on display at the Udvar-Hazy Center of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum.
Weight (wet): 118 kg (260 lb)