American rocket experimenter Dr. Robert H. Goddard used Dewar flasks like this one for carrying liquid oxygen for some of his earliest liquid-propellant rocket experiments. It dates to about 1923-1924. Each flask appears to hold about a liter of liquid oxygen. The flasks were needed to contain the extremely low temperature of the liquid oxygen which quickly evaporated when exposed to air. Goddard at first worked with solid propellants from 1915-1920, then switched to liquids in 1921 and continued to experiment with liquid propellant rockets until his death in 1945.
Mrs. Robert H. Goddard donated this object to the Smithsonian Institution in 1959 as part of a large collection of artifacts from her husband.
Gift of Mrs. Robert H. Goddard