Piston Pump Part, Rocket Engine, R.H. Goddard
This appears to be a part of one of the first rocket pumps tested by the American rocket pioneer Dr. Robert H. Goddard in 1923 for his first experiments with liquid propellant rocket motors.
However, it was only used for static, not flight tests. Goddard used liquid oxygen and kerosene to test his first pumps, although he preferred liquid oxygen and gasoline as his standard propellants.
This object was donated to the Smithsonian by Mrs. R. H. Goddard in 1959.
Gift of Mrs. Robert H. Goddard
- Country of Origin
- United States of America
- Dr. Robert H. Goddard
- ca. 1923
- PROPULSION-Components (Engine Parts)
- Length, overall:, 14 2/8 inches; diameter, outside, 0.75 inches