This Sikorsky JRS-1 is the only one in our collection that was stationed at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. Ten JRS-1 amphibians were at the base when the Japanese attacked, and all survived. They were immediately pressed into service and flew many missions patrolling for Japanese submarines and searching for the enemy fleet. The only armament these airplanes carried were depth charges to attack submarines. The JRS-1 remained at the Garber Facility until March 8, 2011 when it was moved to the Mary Baker Engen Restoration Hangar at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center near Dulles Airport.
Transferred from the United States Navy, Bureau of Weapons.
Country of Origin: United States of America
Storage: 365.8 x 129.5cm (12 ft. x 51 in.)
Seven (7) aircraft chairs removed from the Sikorsky JRS-1, some still have seatbelts and armrests