Kirkham engines were designed and built by Charles B. Kirkham in Savona, N.Y., during 1910 and 1912. Kirkham was one of the earliest and best known airplane engine designers and builders. His first aircraft engines were based on his automobile motors. The Kirkham Models B-4 and B-6 engines incorporated concentric-type valves, which were operated through rockers and tubular concentric push rods from a camshaft situated in the crankcase. Kirkham advertised that his engine was "outstanding in light weight, low head resistance, and freedom from vibration."
In 1911, Kirkham began to manufacture the Model B-6. It powered the Aerial Exhibition Company's Burgess Hydroplane Model F, the Kirkham tractor biplane, and the Thomas Model TA. This model B-6 engine was flown by its donor, George N. Boyd, in a copy of a Curtiss aircraft and a Bleriot monoplane.
Gift of G. N. Boyd
Country of Origin: United States of America
Length 119.4 cm (47.0 in.), Width 40.6 cm (16.0 in.), Height 76.2 cm (30.0 in.)
Type: In-line, 6 cylinders, liquid-cooled, concentric valves and push rods
Power rating: 40.6 KW (54.5 hp) at 1,300 rpm
Displacement: 6.24 L (380.88 cu in)
Bore and Stroke: 10.48 cm (4.125 in) x 12.07 (4.75 in)
Weight (wet): 235 lb (4.3 lb/hp)
Condition: Complete except for data plate, on stand.