This is a nosecone of a liquid-propellant experimental rocket of Dr. Robert H. Goddard. It includes a bracket inside, as part of a parachute release mechanism. Judging from its diameter, this nosecone was most likely used on one of Goddard's L series of rockets tested at Roswell, New Mexico, from February 1937 to August 1938. The slight dent near the top of the nose may indicate this cone was recovered from a flown rocket. The L series featured propellant pumps and gyro stabilization. Goddard's L series successfully achieved eight flights during that period. His highest flight, on March 26, 1937, went up to 9,000 feet. This nosecone was found in the collection but probably donated to the Smithsonian by Goddard's sponsor, the Guggenheim Foundation for the Promotion of Aeronautics.