Curtiss Model K
Among the most successful early engines marketed in the United States were those designed and built by aviation pioneer and inventor Glenn Curtiss in his factory in Hammondsport, New York. Curtiss introduced the Model K in 1911. This engine was an enlarged and improved version of an earlier Curtiss in-line air- and water-cooled power plant. Each cylinder in the engine had a single push rod and rocker arm, which operated the inlet and exhaust valves.
The Model K powered the Curtiss Type D pusher airplane, the U.S. Army's second aircraft after the 1909 Wright Military Flyer.
Country of Origin: United States of America
Length 50.8 cm (20.0 in.), Width 30.5 cm (12.0 in.), Height 77.5 cm (30.5 in.)
Type: In-line, 4 cylinders, water cooled
Power rating: 30 kW (40 hp) at 1,500 rpm
Displacement: 4.1 L (251 cu in)
Weight: 79.5 kg (175 lb)
Manufacturer: Curtiss Airplane and Motor Co., Hammondsport, N.Y.
Has water pump and inlet tubing from pump, outlet tubing at top of cylinder heads, magneto mounting plate, magneto reduction gearing, magneto gear covering, and intake manifold; missing carburetor, spark plugs, ignition wiring, magneto, and data plate.