Injector, Rocket Motor, Liquid Fuel, R.H. Goddard
This is an injector for a liquid propellant rocket of U.S. rocket pioneer Robert H. Goddard. It was tested on 26 October 1927. The underneath of the cone is coated with a ceramic (alundum) to help absorb the heat of combustion. Goddard began his rocket experiments in 1915 with solid propellants, then switched to liquid propellants in 1921 since they had more energy content and greater performance. He continued experimenting with rockets until his death in 1945.
This object was found in the Smithsonian collections, but likely was originally part of a major gift of Goddard artifacts to the Smithsonian by the Daniel and Florence Guggenheim Foundation in 1950.
Found in Collection
- Country of Origin
- United States of America
- Dr. Robert H. Goddard
- PROPULSION-Components (Engine Parts)
- Overall, steel, possibly with some bronze alloy; coating in interior, at top of cone, ceramic (alundum)
- Overall: 5 1/4 in. tall x 8 in. wide x 4 3/4 in. diameter (13.34 x 20.32 x 12.07cm)