Developed in the 1950s, the S-3 D Jupiter engine powered the U.S.'s first intermediate range (1600 miles) ballistic missile (IRBM). A modification of the Redstone engine, the Jupiter engine, which operated on liquid oxygen and RP-1 (a type of kerosene), produced 150,000 lbs of thrust for 178 seconds. The Jupiter missile itself was 58 feet (17.7 m) long, 8.75 feet (2.7 m) in diameter, and weighed 110,000 lbs (49,900 kg).
NASA transferred this engine to the Museum in 1969.
Transferred from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration