The officer's Type M1940 service uniform was adopted by the United States Army during the service's rapid expansion prior America's entry into World War II. Popularly known as the "pinks and greens" this uniform remained standard issue until the passage of the National Security Act of 1947 that created the Department of Defense. The uniform continued to be worn in the aftermath of the Act but officially became obsolete after July 1948.
This uniform coat was worn by the donor, 1st Lieutenant Richard Morris, who served as B-17 pilot in the 8th Air Force, 92nd Bomb Group, 326 Bombardment Squadron, from January 1945 until the end of the war.
Donated by Mr. Richard W. Morris
Country of Origin: United States of America
Clothing: 83.8 x 78.7 x 5.1cm (33 x 31 x 2 in.)
Wool, synthetic fabric, brass, plastic
United States Army Air Force (USAAF) Officer's Type M1940 service coat; olive drab shade no. 51 single breasted hip length; two upper button flap pockets with box pleat; two lower button flap pocket; four 1 in. diameter brass buttons down front with raised United States national eagle crest depicted on each button; drop collar and open lapels; pleated back seams; attached waist belt with slip through brass buckle; epaulets with 1/2 inch diameter brass button; olive green single officer's service stripe on each cuff; attached belt; epaulets with gold buttons; embroidered United States Air Corps winged insignia on left shoulder; gold wire 8th Air Force insignia on right shoulder; 6 ribbon bars over left breast pocket; silver pilot's badge ribbon bars; silver 1st Lieutenant rank insignia bar on each epaulet; brass "U.S." insignia on collar; brass Air Corps winged propeller insignia on lapel.