Model, Rocket, Saturn I, 1:48
This is a 1:48 Scale model of the the Saturn 1, the first of the three Saturn launch vehicles built for the Apollo program. A two-stage liquid-fuel rocket, it was originally called the Saturn C-1 and then renamed Saturn 1 in 1963. Although the National Aeronautics and Space Administration had plans at that time to use the rocket for manned Apollo orbital missions, these were subsequently dropped. Instead, the Saturn 1 launched five Apollo boilerplate command and service modules during 1964-1965 to help qualify the spacecraft for manned flight. NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center made this model and transferred it to NASM in 1972.
Gift of Marshall Space Flight Center
- Country of Origin
- United States of America
- NASA Marshall Space Flight Center
- MODELS-Missiles & Rockets
- Stainless Steel/Chrome
- First stage is wood, plastic, and brass. Second stage is wood and plastic. Base is wood and metal. Wood carrying case.
- Wooden crate: 28 1/2"x 15" x 9 1/4" (10/3/2011)
- Model: 42" x 16 3/16" diam. (10/3/2011)
- Overall: 3ft 4 1/2in. x 5 1/2in. (102.87 x 13.97cm) 1:48 scale.