Model, Rocket, Saturn I, 1:48
This is a 1:48 scale model of the Saturn 1, the first of the three Saturn launch vehicles built for the Apollo program. A two-stage liquid-fuel rocket, it was originally called the Saturn C-1 and then renamed Saturn 1 in 1963. Although NASA had plans at that time to use the rocket for Apollo human orbital missions, these were subsequently dropped. Instead, the Saturn 1 launched five Apollo boilerplate command and service modules during 1964-1965 to help qualify the spacecraft for human spaceflight. This model was built and donated by NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center to the Museum in 1972.
Gift of NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center
- Country of Origin
- United States of America
- NASA Marshall Space Flight Center
- MODELS-Missiles & Rockets
- Plastic and metal rocket on wood base.
- Overall: 47 1/2 in. tall x 5 1/2 in. diameter (120.65 x 13.97cm)
- Other (base): 6 in. wide x 6 in. long (15.24 x 15.24cm)