The officer's Type M1940 service uniform was adopted by the United States Army during the service's rapid expansion prior America's entry into World War II. Popularly known as the "pinks and greens," this uniform remained standard issue until the passage of the National Security Act of 1947 that created the Department of Defense. The uniform continued to be worn in the aftermath of the Act but officially became obsolete after July 1948.
Len Morgan the donor of this uniform earned his pilots wings by joining the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) in November 1941. Following the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor he joined the U.S. Army Air Force and served in Air Transport Command in the Mediterranean Theater. Following the war he served with the Kentucky Air National Guard and became a Captain with Braniff Airlines flying Boeing 747s.
Donated by Len Morgan
United States Army Air Force (USAAF) Officer's Type M1940 service coat; olive drab shade no. 51 single breasted hip length; two upper button flap pockets with box pleat; two lower button flap pocket; four 1 in. diameter brass buttons down front with raised United States national eagle crest depicted on each button; drop collar and open lapels; pleated back seams; attached waist belt with slip through brass buckle; epaulets with 1/2 inch diameter brass button; olive green single officer's service stripe on each cuff; attached belt; epaulets with gold buttons; embroidered United States Air Corps winged insignia on left shoulder; three gold wire overseas service bars left cuff.