The enlistedman's Type M1939 service uniform was adopted by the United States Army during the service's rapid expansion prior America's entry into World War II. Popularly known as the "pinks and greens" this uniform remained standard issue until the passage of the National Security Act of 1947 that created the Department of Defense. The M1942, that had a simpler design with the removal of the rear shoulder pleats, replaced the M1939 although this uniform remained in use. The uniform continued to be worn in the aftermath of the Act but officially became obsolete after July 1948.
Donated by Len Morgan
United States Army Air Force (USAAF) enlisted man's Type M1939 service coat; olive drab shade no. 53 single breasted hip length; two upper button flap pockets with plain front; two lower button flap pocket; four 1 in. diameter brass buttons down front with raised United States national eagle crest depicted on each button; drop collar and open lapels; pleated back seams; epaulets with gold buttons; embroidered United States Air Corps winged insignia on left shoulder; embroidered Staff Sergeant's rank insignia on each sleeve.