This is a left hand hatch from a Gemini spacecraft. It was used in instrumentation tests and did not fly in space. Made of titanium, it is covered with shingles of Rene 41, which protected the capsule from the tremendous heat generated during reentry.
McDonnell Aircraft made the hatch and donated it to the Museum in 1970.
Gift of McDonnell Aircraft
- Country of Origin
- United States of America
- McDonnell Aircraft
- SPACECRAFT-Manned-Parts & Structural Components
- Inconel, Rubber (Silicone), Paper, Adhesive, Plastic, Epoxy, Steel, Mylar (Polyester), Aluminum, Titanium,
- Paint, Magnesium, Cadmium Plating, Plastic, Glass
- Storage (Rehoused on aluminum pallet with one additional object): 152.4 × 213.4 × 63.5cm, 164.2kg (60 × 84 × 25 in., 362lb.)
- Overall: 127 × 104.1 × 43.2cm (50 × 41 × 17 in.)