The AN-H-15 helmet was introduced as the standard summer or light weight for the Army Air Force and Navy on April 23, 1943. It served as the replacement for the Type A-9 flying helmet. It was the first flying helmet designed under the joint Army/Navy procurement program. This helmet was worn by the donor during World War II while flying from the USS Yorktown (CV-10).
Donated by Capt. William G. Lalibert (USN, Ret.)
United States Navy Type AN6540-2S Summer Flying Helmet; khaki cotton helmet with black rubber earphones with Type ANB-H-1 earphone receivers; three piece construction with double sewn hems; brow flap; tan cow hide buckle chin strap with chamois chin pad; three tan cow hide straps on back of helmet to hold flight goggle strap; chamois ear padding on inside of helmet; black manufacture's sewn tag with gold embroidered letter text (see inscriptions for full text) on inside nape of helmet; cloth insulated patch cord with red plastic plug.