The enlisted man’s Type M1942 was similar to the M1939 service uniform was adopted by the United States Army during the service's rapid expansion prior America's entry into World War II. The design was simplified with the removal of the rear shoulder pleats. Popularly known as the "pinks and greens" this uniform remained standard issue until the passage of the National Security Act of 1947 that created the Department of Defense. The uniform continued to be worn in the aftermath of the Act but officially became obsolete after July 1948.
This coat was worn by the donor duing World War II. He served from September 1942 until February 1946 with the 2053 Air Base Group Western Training Command in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Donated by Robert C. Kite
United States Army Air Force (USAAF) enlisted man's Type M1942 service coat; olive drab shade no. 53 single breasted hip length; two upper button flap pockets with plain front; two lower button flap pocket; four 1 in. diameter brass buttons down front with raised United States national eagle crest depicted on each button; drop collar and open lapels; pleated back seams; attached waist belt with slip through brass buckle; epaulets with 1/2 inch diameter brass button; attached belt; epaulets with gold buttons; embroidered United States Air Corps winged insignia on left shoulder; embroidered Corporal's rank insignia on each sleeve; discharge "Ruptured Duck" insignia over right breast pocket; 1 overseas stripe.