This is a replica of the world's first liquid-fuel rocket flown by Robert H. Goddard on March 16, 1926 at Auburn, Mass. The rocket, propelled by liquid oxygen and gasoline, went up to an altitude of 41 feet (12.5 m) in 2.5 seconds and landed 184 feet (56 m) away. The replica was made by Atkins & Merrill of Sudbury, Mass., based upon original photos. No blueprints of the original rocket were found.
Goddard began experimenting with rockets from 1915 as means of exploring the upper atmosphere and eventually space. He started with solid propellants, but in 1921 switched to liquids because they contained more energy and were also controllable. The replica was donated to the Smithsonian in 1976 by NASA.
Transferred from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration