Command and Service Modules, Apollo #119
This Apollo Block II spacecraft, consisting of Command and Service Modules 119, was the last of its kind built. Designated as the Skylab rescue vehicle, it could be launched in a five-man configuration, with two extra couches under the regular seats. A rescue crew of two would link up with the Skylab workshop and bring back a long-duration crew whose CSM had become unusable. After Skylab, CSM 119 became the backup for the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project (ASTP) spacecraft (CSM 111).
CSM 119 was transferred by NASA to the Smithsonian in 1977 and immediately placed on display at the NASA Kennedy Space Center.
Transferred from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- Country of Origin
- United States of America
- North American Rockwell
- Aluminum alloy, stainless steel, and titanium structures. Outer shell - stainless steel honeycomb between stainless steel sheets. Crew compartment inner shell - aluminum honeycomb between aluminum alloy sheets.
- Epoxy-resin ablative heat shield covers outside.
- Length: 410 in. (1041 cm); Diameter: 154 in. (391 cm)