The original P-1 hard helmet for jet pilots was introduced by the United States Air Force in March 1948. The Type P-4A was basically the same helmet with a sun visor added, improved earphones, and minor refinements to the web lining and straps. The Type MBU-5/P oxygen mask was worn with this helmet which saw extensive service with the Air Force from 1956 to 1964. It was also used by many jet pilots of NATO and other friendly nations around the world.
Donated by Donald S. Lopez
United States Air Force Type P-4A Protective flying helmet; white fiberglass shell with brown leather webbing; light brown rubber edge; smoked plastic flip down sunshade; internal earphones with black rubber padding; white cotton adjustable chin strap with chamois chin pad and snaps; black plastic microphone attach plug on left side of helmet; United States Air Force wing star insignia decal on left side of helmet; white stencil United States Air Force wing star insignia on leather webbing; blue tape with embossed text "HAVE NO FEAR LOPE IS HERE".