This pin was part of the 15-year service award that was given by the National Advisory Committee on Aeronautics (NACA) to its employees. Created in 1915 by Congress to conduct and oversee scientific research in the field of aeronautics, NACA continued in existence until 1958 when it was succeeded by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. This was one of many awards given by NACA to its employees. The pin was transferred from NASA to the Smithsonian Institution in 1979.
Gift of NASA Headquarters