Country of Origin: United States of America
Overall: 1 1/2 in. diameter (3.81cm)
Gold medal w/cloth ribbon in storage box
This medal was part of the Distinguished Service award that was given by the National Advisory Committee on Aeronautics (NACA) to its employees. Created in 1915 by Congress to conduct and oversee scientific research in the field of aeronautics, NACA continued in existence until 1958 when it was succeeded by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. This was one of many awards given by NACA to its employees. The medal was transferred from NASA to the Smithsonian Institution in 1979.
Gift of NASA Headquarters