Diameter, 23 inches; span, lower fins, 70.5 inches (5 ft 10.25 inches); width, each lower fin, 34 inches; length, each lower fin, 82 inches; length, overall, estimated, 25 feet.
Body and fins, aluminum; screws, steel; inside ribs of body and bottom (oxidizer) tank, steel, with aluminum tubing; steel stand, blue.
This is a Hermes surface-to-surface liquid-propellant missile, probably of the A-1 type, ca. 1950. It was part of a family of Project Hermes test missiles developed by the General Electric Co. The A-1 had a similar configuration to the German Wasserfall surface-to-surface missile of World War II. The rocket motor of 13,500 pounds thrust was developed by G.E. Five of the missiles were test flown at White Sands from May 1950 to April 1951. The A-1 reached a maxiumum altitude of 15 miles, a range of 38 miles, and attained a speed of 1,850-mph. The rocket was transferred to the Smithsonian in 1980 from the NASA/Marshall Space Flight Center.
Transferred from NASA-Marshall Space Flight Center