This ribbon was part of the U.S. Navy's Distinguished Public Service award given to Dr. Charles S. Draper in February 1956. The award recognizes civilians who have made significant contributions to the U.S. Navy in a wide range of fields. Dr. Draper received the award for his work as the Director of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Instrumentation Laboratory, which developed guidance systems for both surface vessels and submarines. Dr. Draper also received this award in 1960. Dr. Draper donated the 1956 medal, ribbon, and lapel button to the National Collection in 1974.
Gift of Dr. Charles Draper