This bronze medal is part of the Daniel Guggenheim Medal awarded to Dr. Charles S. Draper in 1966. The Daniel Guggenheim Medal is awarded for "great achievements in aeronautics." Established in 1928 by the Daniel Guggenheim Fund for the Promotion of Aeronautics, the award subsequently was jointly administered by the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, the Society of Automotive Engineers, and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. Dr. Draper received it for his contributions to aeronautical education and his development of guidance systems for aircraft, rockets, missiles, and spacecraft. This medal was donated to the Museum by Dr. Draper in 1974.
Gift of Dr. Charles S. Draper