This Kelvin Gold Medal was given to Dr. Charles S. Draper in 1974 by the Institution of Civil Engineers. First awarded in 1920, the medal is named after Lord Kelvin, who held a chair at the University of Glasgow for almost 50 years. It is awarded triennially to recognize the outstanding application of science to engineering. Dr. Draper received it for his development of guidance systems for naval vessels, aircraft, rockets, missiles, and spacecraft. Dr. Draper donated this medal to the museum in 1974.
Gift of Dr. Charles S. Draper