The Lunar Roving Vehicle (LRV) was a four-wheeled, battery powered "dune buggy" taken to the moon on Apollo missions 15, 16, and 17. The LRV was stowed on the descent stage of the Lunar Module and deployed upon arrival at the lunar surface. Actually a "wheeled spacecraft," it was operated with a spacecraft "stick" rather than a steering wheel and could move forward and backward. The design included a communications antenna and a television camera. Each wheel had a 1/4-horsepower electric motor. The LRV could reach speeds of up to 12 miles per hour and carry 1000 pounds (2 astronauts and their equipment). This unit was built for 1-G training on Earth. The Smithsonian originally acquired title to it in 1974.
Transferred from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration