This left glove is from a spacesuit that was sized for NASA Mercury astronaut Donald "Deke" Slayton. The neck ring on the suit was not unattached, and thus was unable to be pressurized. For that reason, we believe that the gloves and suit were only for training or as a fit-check. The gloves lack the restraint system and attached finger lights that other, flown Mercury gloves featured.
The B.F. Goodrich Company developed the Mercury spacesuits from the U.S. Navy MK-IV full pressure suit. NASA chose the USN high altitude suits in 1959 for use in Project Mercury. Deke Slayton did not fly in the Mercury program, but flew in the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project mission in July 1975.
NASA transferred the suit and gloves to the Museum in 1982.
Transferred by NASA - Johnson Space Center