Full-scale mock-up of the International Ultraviolet Explorer (IUE) satellite. It was built at the Goddard Space Flight Center to test integration and fit of the equipment to be carried on the mission. The mock-up is composed of metal, wood, aluminum, and aluminum coated Mylar. There are no functional elements. The IUE was launched by a Thor-Delta rocket on January 26, 1978 and placed into a geosynchronous orbit around the Earth. It carries a 45-centimeter (17.7-inch) Cassegrain reflecting telescope with two spectrographs that sense a major part of the ultraviolet region of the spectrum (1150-3250 Angstroms). In March 1983 the artifact was transferred to the Museum from NASA's Goddard Spaceflight Center.
Transferred from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration