Missile, Air-to-Surface, Henschel Hs 293 A-1, Left Wing
Germany developed the Hs 293 air-launched missile in World War II for use against ships or ground targets. It was basically a glide bomb assisted by a liquid-fuel rocket that fired for 10 seconds. The Hs 293 was carried under the wings or in the bomb bay of an He 111, He 177, Fw 200, or Do 217 aircraft. Its warhead was a modified SC 500 bomb containing Trialene 105 high explosive. A bombardier guided the missile by means of a joy stick and radio control.
The Hs 293 from which this wing is taken was captured by the U.S. armed forces in 1945. The wing is exhibited in the National Air and Space Museum's "Beyond the Limits" gallery as its airfoil design was optimized through the use of Konrad Zuse's pioneering digital computer. The rest of the missile can be seen at the Museum's Udvar-Hazy Center.
Transferred by the U.S. Navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal School, Indian Head, Maryland
- Country of Origin
- Henschel Flugzeugwerke
- CRAFT-Missiles & Rocket Parts
- duraluminum alloy
- Overall: 4 ft. span (121.92cm)