This is a rocket motor combustion chamber built by American rocket pioneer Dr. Robert H. Goddard during 1926-1927. The motor utilized a mutiple injection system that produced a thrust of about 50 pounds. On 20 July 1927 Goddard attempted a rocket launch powered by this motor. Soon after ignition, the motor failed when combustion gases burned through the chamber and no flight was made.
Goddard concluded that there were unforeseen complexities in designing a large rocket (a rocket weighing about 200 pounds, with fuel). He thus decided to concentrate on a smaller rocket with a much improved fuel injection system. The motor shown here was donated to the NASM in 1950 by the Daniel and Florence Guggenheim Foundation.
Gift of the Daniel & Florence Guggenheim Foundation