Country of Origin: United States of America
Overall: 20 1/2 in. long x 6 in. diameter (52.07 x 15.24cm)
This is the fuel tank of one of the liquid propellant rockets of American rocket pioneer Dr. Robert H. Goddard (1882-1945) and dates to the 1930s when he was experimenting near Roswell, New Mexico. The exact rocket and dates are unknown but the rocket used Goddard's standard propellants of liquid oxygen and gasoline. The tank, made of aluminum, shows a burst hole which was probably caused by the failure of one of his tests.
The tank was donated to the NASM in 1950 by the Daniel and Florence Guggenheim Foundation after its display in a Guggenheim exhibit in New York City in 1948, the earliest known exhibit of Goddard rockets.
Gift of the Daniel Guggenheim Foundation