Country of Origin: United States of America
Approximate: 30.48 x 1584.96 x 353.06cm (1ft x 52ft x 11ft 7in.) (as photographed)
Storage: 91.44 x 60.96cm (3ft x 2ft)
Nylon, Synthetic Fabric, Natural Fabric, Steel, Brass, Natural Fabric
This parachute system is one of the three main units deployed to safely "land" the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project (ASTP) command module after its successful July 1975 mission to rendezvous and dock with an orbiting Soyuz spacecraft. The parachute system selected for the Apollo command module consisted of two ribbon drogue parachutes, which accomplish initial deceleration and stabilization. After disconnect the two drogue parachutes are followed by three pilot parachutes, which in turn extract three ringsail main parachutes (only two of which would provide the rate of descent necessary for a safe water landing). This unit consists of one of the three ASTP "deployment bags," a pilot parachute and a ringsail parachute combinations.
NASA transferred accountability for this parachute system, made by Northrop Ventura, to the Museum in March 1977.
Transferred from NASA, Johnson Space Center