Detector, X-ray, V-2 Era
Side window x-ray detector made specifically for sounding rocket research, modified from an Anton commercial unit to be able to withstand rocket vibrations. An aluminum foil window acts as a filter to isolate x-rays. Glyptol is used as the sealant. This detector is representative of those flown from the 1950's through the 1960's and is very similar to those flown on V-2's. These counters comprise a gas filled tube with a cylindrical cathode and a wire cathode in the middle. Photons of energetic radiation that enter the tube will ionize the filling gas making it electrically conductive. This will cause a discharge to flow between the anode and the cathode. This results in a countable electrical signal. This artifact is part of a collection of high energy detectors from the Naval Research Laboratory (see Catalogue#s 19880001000-19880017000). It was transferred to NASM in 1987.
Transferred from the Naval Research Laboratory
- Country of Origin
- United States of America
- Naval Research Laboratory
- Side window - aluminum foil
- 3-D: 12.7 x 2.5cm (5 x 1 in.)