BS-2 Geiger Counter shell with special window modified from a Bureau of Ships diagnostic x-ray detector system. This ultraviolet detector, which dates to the 1952-1953 era, represents one of the first attempts to adapt a large crystalline window, in this case lithium fluoride, to a metal shell. This artifact is part of a collection of high energy detectors from the Naval Research Laboratory (see Catalogue#s 19880001000-19880017000). It was transferred to NASM in 1987.
Transferred from the Naval Research Laboratory
- Country of Origin
- United States of America
- Naval Research Laboratory
- Metal, glass, ceramic and lithium fluoride
- 3-D: 10.2 x 2.5cm (4 x 1 in.)