This is an unassembled Pioneer 1 flying rocket model built by Model Products. The model has a pasteboard body, plastic nose and fins, and a plastic streamer. A solid propellant rocket motor propels the model, and then at the end of the vertical flight it forces the release of a streamer. The model is then retrieved and can be used again. This kit also includes two motors, the launch controller that is used to ignite the motor, and the launch pad from which the model is launched. G. Harry Stine donated the model to NASM in 1993.
Gift of G. Harry Stine
- Country of Origin
- United States of America
- Model Products Corporation
- Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, Chantilly, VA
- James S. McDonnell Space Hangar
- MODELS-Missiles & Rockets
- Model has pasteboard body, plastic fins and nose, and plastic streamer w/string shrouds. Two motors are pasteboard w/non-explosive propellant. Launch controller is plastic and metal. Launch pad is plastic and metal. Cardboard retail box w/paper assembly instructions.
- Plastic carrying case.
- Other (retail box): 3 in. high x 19 in. long x 9 in. wide, 2.2lb. (7.6 x 48.3 x 22.9cm, 1kg)
- Other (model): 12 in. wide (30.48cm)