Country of Origin: United States of America
Other: 3 in. diameter x 7 1/2 in. long (7.62 x 19.1cm)
Other (nozzle): 1 1/4 in. diameter (3.18cm)
This rocket motor blank was one of six made for the American Rocket Society (ARS) in 1932 toward building, testing, and flying their first liquid-propellant rockets. It was not used but a similar blank, with lugs for propellant line connections, was used for ARS Rocket No. 1 that produced 60 pounds of thrust.
Of the six blanks, one made with lugs served as the motor for ARS Rockets No. 1 and 2. Another was used for the four nozzle motor for ARS Rocket No. 4. A third blank was fitted with a water jacket but never fired, while two others were used in the production of experimental motors but never finished. This object was donated to the Smithsonian in 1994 by the Thiokol Chemical Corp.
Gift of the Thiokol Chemical Company, Reaction Motors Division