This is a model of unknown scale of the Harpoon, a U.S. Navy submarine-launched and ship-launched anti-ship missile. The first version, the RGM-84A, had a range in excess of 65 miles and carried a 488 lb conventional warhead. First deployed with the U.S. Navy in 1977, advanced versions are still in service today. The manufacturer is unknown.
John and Cynthia Heyde donated the model to the Museum in the late 1980s.
Gift of John S. and Cynthia H. Heyde.
- Country of Origin
- United States of America
- MODELS-Missiles & Rockets
- Wood, Paint, Aluminum, Steel, Felt, Plastic
- Missile, additional warhead, and booster are wood. One of the warheads has clear plastic at its tip. The warheads are attached to the body of the missile by a short metal rod, and the booster is attached also by a short metal rod.
- Overall (Main Model): 1ft 3 1/4in. x 2 1/2in. x 2 1/2in. (38.74 x 6.35 x 6.35cm)
- Overall (Extra Warhead): 3 3/4in. x 1 3/8in. (9.53 x 3.49cm)
- Overall (Booster): 3 1/2in. x 3 1/2in. x 3 1/2in. (8.89 x 8.89 x 8.89cm)