Action Figure, Babylon 5, Vir Cotto
This action figure is memorabilia from "Babylon 5," a space-themed television show which aired from 1993-1999. The show's creator, J. Michael Straczynski (JMS), conceived an adult science fiction show with a five-year arc. As a result, the series storyline unfolded over five seasons. Although episodes could be watched individually, plots stretched between shows and over seasons. After "Babylon 5" was cancelled in its fourth season, its determined fans found the show a home at the cable network TNT, so that the story arc could be completed. More significant, "Babylon 5" spawned a fan culture that used e-mail, newsgroups, and websites (in addition to newsletters and collectible items) to share affection for the series. Straczynski (JMS on-line) participated actively on the internet, answering fans questions and sometime incorporating their ideas into episodes. The use of the internet and e-mail as the backbone of its fan culture makes "Babylon 5" a marker of its times.
Jeannie Whited donated this piece of "Babylon 5" memorabilia to the National Collection in 2005.
Gift of Jeannie C. Whited.
- Country of Origin
- China (Distributed in USA)
- Exclusive Toy Products, Inc.
- MEMORABILIA-Popular Culture
- Plastic action figure with plastic model spaceship in cardboard and plastic packaging
- 3-D (Doll): 6.4 x 15.9cm (2 1/2 x 6 1/4 in.)
- 3-D (Spaceship): 7.6 x 5.1cm (3 x 2 in.)
- 3-D (Package): 19.1 x 5.7 x 30.5cm (7 1/2 x 2 1/4 x 12 in.)