Date: ca. 1956-1959
Country of Origin: United States of America
Overall: 104.14 x 264.16 x 706.12 x 55.88cm, 1270.1kg (3ft 5in. x 8ft 8in. x 23ft 2in. x 1ft 10in., 2800lb.)
Other (Outside nozzle): 55.88cm (1ft 10in.)
Other (Engine): 127cm (4ft 2in.)
Other (Box): 118.11 x 53.34 x 416.56cm (3ft 10 1/2in. x 1ft 9in. x 13ft 8in.)
Other (Tanks): 30.48cm (1ft)
Other (Maximum width of sled): 269.24cm (8ft 10in.)
Motor with nozzle, steel, with aluminum tubing and some tubing encircling combustion chamber, probably copper or painted copper green; long rectangular box, aluminum with steel screws; wings in front of sled, aluminum; propellant tanks, both aluminum; bow-shaped cross bars in back and front of sled, steel. Note that sheets of Alcoa 250 aluminum were used to construct much of the body of the sled.
This is the RS-1 liquid-fuel rocket sled used at the U.S. Air Force's rocket sled test track at Holloman AFB, N.M., during 1958 to 1959. It reached low supersonic speeds and was used to test the effects of launch stresses upon inertial guidance systems and other key components for missiles. The RS-1 was also invaluable in studies of rocket-sled aerodynamics and vibration and in tests of track instrumentation.
Developed and built by Century Engineers, Inc., of Burbank, Calif., the sled used a North American Aviation, Inc. NAA 50-4.5 rocket engine based upon the Redstone missile engine. It was a scaled down version running on liquid oxygen and alcohol and produced a variable thrust of 35,000-50,000 lbs for 4.5 sec.
The RS-1 was the first liquid-fuel sled at Holloman and perhaps the first anywhere, although it ceased to be used after 1959 since it was considerably more complicated than solid-fuel sleds and its maintenance was expensive.
Holloman AFB transferred this artifact to the Museum in 1967.
Transferred from the United States Air Force, Holloman Air Force Base.