Award, Statue, MTV Video Music Awards, blank
This MTV "Moonman" statuette is the trophy given during the music television network's annual Video Music Awards. When Music Television (MTV) began in 1981, the new network about music, attitude, mood, and motion showed as their station identification colorized film of the Apollo lunar astronauts planting an MTV flag accompanied by rock music played on electric guitar. The award statue, designed by Manhattan Design, which also created the MTV logo, reinterpretted that film clip as a three-dimensional awards statuette.
MTV Networks gave this blank Moonman award to the National Collection in 2007.
Gift of MTV Networks
- Country of Origin
- United States of America
- Manhattan Design
- Award: Zinc, nickel silver plate, brass, paint, felt
- Box: Cardboard, foam, fabric, silver foil
- 3-D (Statue): 12.7 x 12.7 x 30.5cm, 3.3kg (5 x 5 x 12 in., 7 3/16lb.)
- 3-D (Flag): 6.4 x 0.3 x 25.4cm (2 1/2 x 1/8 x 10 in.)
- 3-D (Box): 24.1 x 16.5 x 34.3cm (9 1/2 x 6 1/2 x 13 1/2 in.)