This rocket was the last of the L-Series of liquid fuel rockets developed by American rocket pioneer Robert H. Goddard. He launched it on 9 August 1938, at Roswell, New Mexico. It was also the last of his gas pressure (non-pump) rockets that flew successfully.
Two members of the N.A.A. (National Aeronautic Association) witnessed the launch and vouched for the altitude obtained by the rocket as recorded on an onboard barograph. The rocket lifted satisfactorily and was recovered by parachute. The official recorded altitude was 3,294 feet. In 1950, the rocket was donated to the NASM by the Daniel and Florence Guggenheim Foundation.
Gift of the Daniel & Florence Guggenheim Foundation