Dr. Herbert Wagner's missile group at Henschel Aircraft in World War II Germany designed the Hs 298 as a small, experimental, air-to-air missile. A Schmidding solid rocket propelled it for about 25 seconds, and the pilot in the launch aircraft guided it using a joystick and transmitter.
These locks hold the missile's control surfaces in place during shipment and loading of the missile. The Smithsonian presumably obtained them along with the missile when the U.S. Navy transferred the Hs 298 in 1948.
Transferred from the U.S. Navy Bureau of Aeronautics