This is a plastic desktop model of the X-7 ramjet vehicle. Lockheed built these vehicles in the 1950s for the Air Force for engine and flight research. Carried aloft by a B-29 or B-50, the booster ignited after launch, was jettisoned, and the ramjet then took over. Assisted by parachutes, the X-7 eventually returned to Earth. The maximum speed reached by an X-7 was 2,000 mph.
Lockheed made the model and donated it to the Museum in 1958.
Gift of Lockheed