Missile, Surface-to-Surface, V-2 (A-4), Miscellaneous Parts
The V-2 rocket, developed and used by the Germans during World War II, was the world's first large-scale liquid-propellant rocket vehicle, the first modern long-range ballistic missile, and the ancestor of today's large-scale liquid-fuel rockets and launch vehicles. Called the A-4 (Aggregat 4) by German Army Ordnance, the rocket was dubbed V-2, or Vergeltungswaffe Zwei ("Vengeance Weapon Two"), by Dr. Josef Goebbels' Propaganda Ministry.
The U.S. Air Force officially transferred a V-2 (A19600342000) to the Smithsonian on 1 May 1949. It was moved to the National Air Museum's storage facility in Suitland, Maryland in 1954, and was restored in 1975-76 for exhibition in the new National Air and Space Museum building. These miscellaneous parts are left over from the restoration, and include an extra jet vane and servomotor, and the skin panel omitted from the tail to show the chain drive mechanism of the control vanes.
Transferred from the U.S. Air Force
- Country of Origin
- CRAFT-Missiles & Rocket Parts
- steel, graphite
- Overall (Tail Skin Panel): 4in. x 2ft 2in. x 3ft 5in. (10.16 x 66.04 x 104.14cm)
- Other (Jet Vane): 5in. x 1ft 2in. x 1ft 7in. (12.7 x 35.56 x 48.26cm)
- Other (Pressure Bottle): 1ft 3 1/2in. (39.37cm)