The TM-61C was the second version of the surface-to-surface U.S. Air Force Matador cruise missile. Built by Martin, it carried a nuclear warhead, flew at subsonic speeds at an altitude of up to 13 kilometers (8 miles), and had a range of 1,000 kilometers (620 miles). After being boosted during its launch by a short-firing solid-fuel rocket engine, a jet engine then powered the missile the rest of the way to the target. Ground-based microwave emitters assisted the missile in finding its target. However, these limited the missile's range to that of line-of-sight transmissions and could be jammed. The TM-61C was deployed at various sites in Europe and Asia from 1957 to 1962 and was replaced by the more advanced Mace cruise missile. The U.S. Air Force transferred this missile to NASM in 1961.
Transferred from the United States Air Force.