Missile, Air-to-Surface, Solid Propellant, Zuni

Introduced around 1958 by the Hunter-Douglas Division of Bridgeport Brass Company and named after the North American Indian tribe, the U.S. Navy Zuni was an improved version of the HVAR (High Velocity Aircraft Rocket), also called the Holy Moses, which was used during World War II as an air-to-surface weapon. The Zuni had a greater velocity than the HVAR, more penetrating power, and longer range.

The Zuni's fins automatically unfolded when the missile left its launcher. The Zuni was designed for use against enemy bombers, pillboxes, gun emplacements, trains, vehicle convoys, ammunition dumps, and small ships. The Zuni was very inexpensive, costing about $400 each, and served as both an air-to-surface and air-to-air missile. It was used to the 1980s. This missile was donated to the Smithsonian in 1966 by the U.S. Navy.

Transferred from U.S. Navy

Country of Origin
United States of America

Manufacturer
Hunter-Douglas Div., Bridgeport Brass Co.

Date
ca. 1958-1980s

Location
Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, Chantilly, VA
Hangar
Boeing Aviation Hangar

Type
CRAFT-Missiles & Rockets

Materials
Non-ferrous metal body; aluminum fins; steel nozzle; steel warhead; non-ferrous warhead cap; steel nose tip
Dimensions
Overall: 7 ft. 11 1/2 in. long x 5 in. diameter, 107 lb. (242.57 x 12.7cm, 48.5kg)

Introduced around 1958 by the Hunter-Douglas Division of Bridgeport Brass Company and named after the North American Indian tribe, the U.S. Navy Zuni was an improved version of the HVAR (High Velocity Aircraft Rocket), also called the Holy Moses, which was used during World War II as an air-to-surface weapon. The Zuni had a greater velocity than the HVAR, more penetrating power, and longer range.

The Zuni's fins automatically unfolded when the missile left its launcher. The Zuni was designed for use against enemy bombers, pillboxes, gun emplacements, trains, vehicle convoys, ammunition dumps, and small ships. The Zuni was very inexpensive, costing about $400 each, and served as both an air-to-surface and air-to-air missile. It was used to the 1980s. This missile was donated to the Smithsonian in 1966 by the U.S. Navy.

Transferred from U.S. Navy

Country of Origin
United States of America

Manufacturer
Hunter-Douglas Div., Bridgeport Brass Co.

Date
ca. 1958-1980s

Location
Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, Chantilly, VA
Hangar
Boeing Aviation Hangar

Type
CRAFT-Missiles & Rockets

Materials
Non-ferrous metal body; aluminum fins; steel nozzle; steel warhead; non-ferrous warhead cap; steel nose tip
Dimensions
Overall: 7 ft. 11 1/2 in. long x 5 in. diameter, 107 lb. (242.57 x 12.7cm, 48.5kg)

ID: A19660160000