This is a 1:30 scale model of the Matador, a U.S. Air Force surface-to-surface missile deployed for a short period beginning in 1955. The first version of the missile was the B-61A (later designated the TM-61A), and it carried either a conventional or nuclear warhead and had a range of less than 400 miles. The second version of the missile was the TM-61B, and it carried either a conventional or nuclear warhead but had a range of approximately 500 miles. Both versions were launched from hardened shelters or mobile trailers. This model was built by NASA's Lewis Research Center, which transferred it to NASM in 1966.
Gift of NASA's Lewis Research Center